CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stickin Out

I think I've said before that we are one of very few white people in our neighborhood. Supposedly there are around 50,000 foreigners in Bangalore but when you hold that up to a population of 6 million you can see how we can stick out in a crowd:)
Because of this it seems that lots of random people near our flat know where we live (even the exact apt. number for some!). Employees at the grocery stores, people we've never met in our complex, ofcourse the security guards, people in other complexes around ours', and today I went to a new pharmacy two or three streets over and the guy behind the counter knew which apt complex I lived in! I've never seen him in my life.
I don't say this because I feel like a rock star or anything (that's our son Kai:--people love babies here--especially fat white ones:) it feels a little more like a stalker movie to me. But you know what...for some reason I feel safer here than I did in the U.S. where noone in the grocery store knew me. These people don't know where we live because they are tracking us down--they just know us because we are different.
On the other hand, if you know me you know I'm a fearaphobic about some things so I won't be letting my kids play outside by themselves or leaving the windows open at night--we stick out a little too much to take any chances:)

2 comments:

Flory Family Five said...

I too am fearful all the time. I keep a close eye on my kids too. Everyone is growing up too fast! Take care!

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

Yeah, it is a little disconcerting at times, isn't it?! Everyone seems to know where we live too!