CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bathroom Talk

I never thought about the fact that some people in the world don't use toilet paper:) It makes perfect sense to have an alternative to using massive amounts of trees to do this job and to conserve on waste, but it just never crossed my mind. In India there are usually hand held water sprayers next to the toilets. I haven't yet figured out how they spray themselves and then somehow just become dry enough to put their pants back on but I'm assuming there's a system:) I do know that you can't shake hands with your left hand b/c it is used in this cleaning process. At one home I visited I noticed they didn't have a sprayer in the bathroom (i was using paper napkins:), so I asked the wife how they cleaned up in this situation--she knew i was asking out of curiousity. She said they use a mug of water. I realized I had seen a bucket full of water with a cup in it, but i thought it was to catch the leaking water from the faucet:) All public places have toiltet paper which I'm thankful for!
Another conservation method is having small, individual hot water heaters for each bathroom (if it even has hot water--thankfully our's do--except the kitchen--which means washing dishes with cold water). You flip a switch next to the light switch to heat it up and then turn it off when you are done. You just have to remember to turn it on in enough time to warm up before your shower. There aren't large, central water heaters that stay heated and supply every room with hot water.
Another, bathroom issue...we are in the process of potty training Haddon. Mainly b/c diapers are so expensive here (disposable I should say). We brought a ton of Kai's size 3 diapers with us knowing this fact ahead of time. (My brother and sister-in-law graciously gave us almost a years supply of diapers when Kai was born!) but we only brought a few packs of size 5 for Haddon. Since he is not even close to being potty trained, and having run out of his size, he is now wearing Kai's size 3 diapers:D They actually fit him but don't quite hold the same amount of overnight liquids as the size 5:) Poor child:) we'll be stocking up in December in the States if he is still wearing them.

Thanks for enduring the bathroom topics--i just find them interesting:)

2 comments:

CKR said...

I love your topics, Colette! They are very insightful :) We are realy enjoying the daily thoughts :) Love, the Reicherts

Colette Frazier said...

Thanks Christa! I saw your blog today--i LOVE Blaize's party pics--it looks like it was so much fun!
love
colette