CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 14, 2008

Playgroup

Every Thursday we go to a playgroup with other foreigners. The playgroup is a branch of the Overseas Women's Club (which I'm not a member but they still let me come:). It has been a great outing every week. The boys are playing with other kids and other toys:) and I get to meet and talk to moms who are going through the same things I am living in a different country. Each week it is at a different home near us.
What is most fascinating to me is the huge contrast between the homes we have playgroup in and the people we see everyday out on the streets. Most of the ex-pats (foreigners) are in the IT business making American or European salaries. They've moved everything they own here by freight/cargo shipping and have luxerious houses or flats. They can afford to hire a full staff of people and live a plush life compared to living in their home country. The boys love playing with ALL the toys each week and I mean it's like Toy's R Us at most of these homes:)
I know in the states there are the rich, the poor and the inbetween but I guess because I see poverty everyday I am frequently reminded of the vast contrast between the rich and the poor here. My next post will be pictures of the family that lives 2 blocks down in a tiny cylinder block house while the dad does construction on a new building. So many of these construction families live in sheet metal homes probably 6 x 6 in size. They build long rows of these metal homes next to the building site which makes an instant community (or slum). They don't have running water, indoor plumbing and probably little electricity. When the building is complete they move on to the next site. It's amazing to me. What's even more amazing is you can get so used to seeing it that it doesn't bother you anymore--it's just a part of life here in India--and that's not good to become numb to it. I think the numbness is a coping method though--how can you face this everyday, not being able to do much to help--you have to "shut it off" sometimes. It's hard knowing you are in the "rich" category by Indian standards and have to see people living like this. OK, enough rambling.
All this to say we love playgroup:D

0 comments: