CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Hair Chop

About 2 weeks ago I went to get my haircut at a salon across the street from us. I couldn't really get any solid recommendations out of people for a decent salon (not good) so I decided to go for proximity. Now before I tell you about the chop let me just say that Brian gets his haircut for less than a dollar here! And it looks good. But I just can't bring myself to go to the barbershop and pay $1 for a haircut so...I went to this salon where a haircut is $10 (not bad). Being a girl of vanity I brought along a picture to show the stylist the "look" I was going for. It wasn't a whole lot different from what I had as far as length. Well she starts chopping away! Granted my hair was way overdue for a trim, but she cut about 4-6 inches off! She kept going around and around layering all over. She definitely had something in mind that she didn't tell me about. Yes I should have stopped her after the first go round but I was giving her the benefit of the doubt and I didn't want to hurt her feelings. SoI left feeling like I had half my haircut off. I was a bit shocked but then again how many white people come in there to get their haircut? Probably not too many.
So the kicker is that I was talking with some Indian friends telling them about the hairchopping experience and they told me that white people have to be careful b/c stylists will cut off 5 or 6 inches without asking and sell the hair to doll makers!! B/c the hair is a lighter color and a different texture it's in high demand. I am just hoping that is not what happened to my hair! Sick!
And speaking of hair, my mom said she has been seeing those ponytail hairpieces advertised in the states that say they're made of real Indian hair--which means really straight, shiny dark hair. I haven't heard about it but there are probably lots of Indian woman somewhere chopping off their long beautiful hair to to make money. Sad.

3 comments:

Flory Family Five said...

After all that leading up to no picture. I am sure it looks good. You can pull anything off! You are beautiful short or long hair...take care! We are off to Ohio for 10 days...in the cold weather. I think we are crazy for leaving such nice weather we are having here. It's Pearland's Spring Break coming this week and Joshua's 4th Birthday!

Anonymous said...

It took me 2-3 months after moving here to find a place that would cut my hair at all. Many said that they could not cut it because it was the wrong color, and they were afraid. Also, 500 rupees is far too much. 200 for a full cut is average, 50 for a trim at a decent place. Looking forward to seeing you and the new 'do' :-)

Spirit of Adoption said...

Oh my!!!! It's hard to trust somebody here to do my hair! I can't imagine!!! I mean, I'm sure everybody there can cut hair just fine! But the whole communication thing, different styles, differnt ideas of what white people might want, ect....all make a BIG difference! : ) You are a trooper! : )