CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympics in India

Brian and I both enjoy watching the Olympics. So almost each night of the games so far we have turned our TV to the Indian gov't channel that is airing the events. We've come to realize that living in another country means watching the Olympic events that this country prioritizes as "choice" rather than the American go-to's like gymnastics and swimming. During PrimeTime Olympic viewing, India, I assume from what's being aired, prefers air rifle shooting, badminton, table tennis, fencing, boxing and tennis.

Another difference is unedited footage-- i.e. large portions of badminton and table tennis:) I've come to appreciate highlights in the absence of highlights:) And we see news anchors commentating more than the actual games.
Ok, I've progressed to grumbling. Am I a spoiled American (accustomed to the brevity of Bob Costas and the editing of NBC)? YES. But regardless I have still been able to catch the Olympic spirit--mainly from reading the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen (i.e. "Phelps clinches his 7th gold medal":)

5 comments:

Heather said...

Aww :( Not to feed your fire, but if I knew it wouldn't take absolutely FOREVER to get to you, I'd mail you the tape we recorded of one of Phelps' swims and the womens' all-around gymnastics. I think that by the time you got it though it just wouldn't be the same :)

Anonymous said...

Abraham and I were just wondering out loud the other night what it would be like to watch the Olympics in another country. Good to get an answer so soon. We've been staying up way too late every night watching them.

Anonymous said...

It is pretty amazing what Phelps has done... He has broken several world record, too! I heard someone in China talking about the news that comes out in China that favors that country too. : ) One of the male gymnasts was of Indian heritage but from Houston! Yea!!!! Dave is watching basketball right now. And our beloved Yao Ming is playing for China! : )

Anonymous said...

American gymnasts, I mean. I just love how you can be American but from another country. Our teams are very diverse.

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

Yes, Nathan and I have been doing our share of complaining about the Olympic coverage here too. =) Although I am trying to learn to just laugh at the craziness of some of what they do instead of getting frustrated by it!

Nathan says that the main reason they show mainly the more obscure events instead of what most people actually want to see is because it is more expensive to broadcast the more popular events, and the government doesn't want to put out the money to do that! Grrr.... But yes, it definitely does give you an appreciation for American Olympic coverage!