CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 15, 2008

For the Love of Enchiladas

If you have ever been over to eat at our house (in the states) you were probably served enchiladas. They were my favorite thing to make--they are quick, serve alot of people and taste so good--it's hard to mess up enchiladas:)
But then we moved to India--far far away from Mexico and mexican cuisine:) How can a family from the Tex Mex haven of the world make it without weekly doses of mexican food? Somehow we are surviving but not without cravings. So when I heard I could get "real" chedder cheese at a new european supermarket that opened I took the boys on a field trip determined to fill the desire for enchiladas. We did indeed find "real" cheese imported from England--which I paid $7.33 for 8oz!!! Now I know you think i'm crazy but wouldn't you pay this much after 6 months of no cheese? Uh huh:) (although my english friend tells me the brand I bought is a farce and is not the "good" english cheese:) but atleast it was hard, yellow and could be shredded). Atlast I could attempt the former staple food of our household.
I believe I have blogged before how I sometimes feel like a "pioneer woman" cooking here. Most everything is from scratch. I learned to "quick cook" , aka with cans, a box, jars, packages, etc. My mom is not very proud of my cooking heritage but I think it is super efficient and tastes just as good as from scratch. So you can imagine that going from making enchiladas from packaged tortillas, frozen chicken breasts, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a carton of sour cream, a can of mexican flavored stewed tomatoes, a jar of enchilada sauce and a bag of shredded "mexican" cheese as well as being able to cook 2 pans at one time in my big oven to this would be torture...you're right:)
I started the cooking journey at 9:30 am...making tortilla dough, kneading, rolling (i can't roll a circle to save my life!), cooking each one on a skillet. Then I chopped up the whole chicken (which still had its neck on!!!!!!!!!!), cut tomatoes and peppers to stew, added seasoning, yogurt, & stewed tomatoes to the chicken to simmer, mixing and cooking the enchilada sauce ( i brought back McCormick packets from our visit in Dec.:)), shredding the cheese, soaking the black beans for an hour(which i also brought back), cutting up onions and garlic and cooking the beans, and making dessert (for a Valentine's Dinner). The cooking escapade ended at 3:00pm! (albeit I was doing other things in between cooking)
So after we got back from playgroup I put one pan in our toaster oven (a friend of mine loaned it to me! Thank the Lord!). I was so excited and drooling as I waited for the cheese to bubble. Finally we sat down to our Mexican fiesta that I had been craving for so long. So how did they turn out? Have you ever tasted Mexican grits? I haven't either but that's the best way to describe them. I was sadly disappointed--i'm blaming the tortilla flour--but I'm also throwing in the towel for cooking mexican food here. Too much work for this "instant" girl. All of you who cook from scratch--please excuse my whining!:D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHOA! That's a lot of work for enchiladas! What a woman! :) Are all of the chickens black like that?

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

You're so funny! I like how you gave us the whole recipe in the post - you know it by heart. Do you have corn chips over there, like tortillas?