CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 8, 2008

Are We Over Culture Shock Yet?

Supposedly it takes 6 months to get over culture shock when entering a new country. That means Brian is over his and I'm close to it:) Actually we felt settled in and at home way before now but there are things that have taken longer to become "normal" or not noticeable around us...sounds, smells, scenery, etc. Although I don't think anyone in Bangalore ever feels like traffic is "normal":)
I was weaned from my Walmart longings (everything-under-one-roof/one-stop-shopping longings to be more specific:) about 2 months ago and now shopping at a convenient store size grocier is "normal". And why buy everything in one spot--there's alot of people whose livelihood depends on you buying a light bulb, etc at their store:)
I also weaned us off of "biscuits" (cookies)this month. They were pretty exciting for 5 months but I think we can live without them now.
And after 5 months we were invited to have a meal at someone's house:) Please don't feel like I'm soliciting sympathy here:) It has been a really good lesson in cultural expectations and norms by having to "wait" to make friends. Friendships always came easy in the states; but here, either b/c we are foreign or b/c that's how relationships go, I'm not sure which one, it has taken longer to connect and make friendships but now it seems that's happening and it makes us very thankful for them. Our friends Sinni and Sinoop had us over for lunch after church and served us a yummy meal. To my surprise she even used Tony Chachere's!!!! Her husband had bought it for her on a trip to the states. I was so excited to see that in her hand!:)
And now our week is filling up with activities...bookclub/baking with church ladies, playgroup, small group, homeschool, etc. I think we are integrating. It just took a little longer than expected-- which seems to be the way things work here--even my Indian friends say so:)

0 comments: