CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Refrigerator/Freezer Appreciation Day

For all my fellow Americans with the large refrigerator and frost free freezer (that's everyone) and perhaps even another stand alone freezer in the garage/laundry room...please don't be jealous of our refrigerator...i know you will only wish you could fit every frozen food item into the size of a glove compartment:D lol:)

This is the average size of most fridges here. When I've been to the homes of expat's who have the "American" size--which you can get here for loads of money-- I think to myself "whoa, they must be super rich". What's funny is that in the u.s. we had a new fridge plus an extra freezer in the garage..."whoa, i must have been rich":) It's funny how perspective changes.
I would venture to say that the majority of people in India--those living in poverty--don't have a fridge or have one smaller than this. I've seen used ones for sale that maybe some could afford. They eat day-to-day...rice and veggies... which don't require refrigeration.
I have, over the past 5 months (it was unbelievable to me at first:), become grateful for my little fridgy, and thankful that there aren't that many frozen food items to buy to need a big freezer, and that ice cream is sold in tiny containers (that's one of the items in the picture:), and that the fridge continues to work even when the microwave and stove right next to it go out for hours at a time:)

Corban decided to decorate it yesterday:)

0 comments: