CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Half Way Thru Book Review

Last week was a challenge...leaving our family and friends behind in one "world", trying to transition back to our other "world", being sleep deprived and having kiddies waking up at all hours of the night. It called for quite the deserving pity party I thought. But thankfully the Lord had a better plan...

I had ordered a stack of used books from Amazon to arrive in the U.S. to take back to India. Most of the books are about people with great faith. I'd previously read two books while here (about Corrie ten Boom and Brother Andrew) and they really put my life (that I was moaning and groaning about) into perspective for me--I have it soooo easy and my faith is so weak. I really need to read these types of books to help focus on the Kindgdom picture, not my microscopic, self-absorbed little world.
I had heard of Amy Carmichael, the single missionary who lived a hundred years ago. I've heard quotes and hymns by her, but when I bought the book I had no idea she was a missionary to India and had lived in Bangalore for part of that time!!! It's so amazing that the Lord had me buy this book that I really didn't know much about and use it to get me out of my pitty pit! This lady was so tough, her faith so strong, her standards so high. She fell ill numerous times, lived with all kinds of creepy crawly animals:), laughed at danger and mockery, witnessed to anyone who breathed, withstood hostile and angry crowds surrounding her home (tent), lived with the people, rescued little girls from a lifetime of service to temple gods, suffered the loss of many children in her care from disease, lost many loved ones, didn't take a furlough for 53 years, didn't see her family for that long as well, was disliked by fellow missionaries, seemed never to be shaken no matter how powerful the blow, and loved India...i'm sure there's more but i'm only half way through the book.
If you ever need to be inspired, lifted up, become un-self-absorbed, see what a life of rock solid faith looks like or realize how easy your life really is...please read A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot. You'll be revived!
"You have turned my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, that I may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!" Psalm 30:11-12

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey lady, you should also read Safely Home by Randy Alcorn...its about the church in China. (I saw you read The Hiding Place, that one is so good!). I owe you an email, but, as you probably guessed, my India trip is back up in the air due to the shuttle launch issues, I'll send more info when I have my computer access again. I'm STILL coming to see you, I just have to see when God will open that door :).

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
it's so good to see the family doing so well!
i hope the next time you visit the states i get the chance to hear from you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hello Frazier family. How I loved catching up with your family and seeing pictures of your recent post. I have your blog in my heading now so I will keep up better. We are having another wedding. Kathryn is marrying Jared (the singer from Nashville) on March 22. It is a happy event (other than the fact that they will move to Nashville) Love you all. GK

Colette Frazier said...

Hi GK,
I'm not sure if you'll get this message but i don't have your current email address. can you email me at flower.flipflops@yahoo.com with your address if you get this?
thanks for reading!
love,
colette