CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 25, 2008

Another Dr. Visit and other thoughts...

Corban saw a pediatric orthopedic this week to correct flat arches on his feet. I know that I've blogged about this many times before, and you may be tired of hearing it, but i am still in disbelief at the cost of health care here...his visit with the doctor cost $5! When Corban saw the same type of doctor in TX the visit was $130!! Today we went back and didn't have to pay for the2nd visit and he will be getting inserts for really cheap. Even after 4 doctor visits since arriving i just can't believe how little doctors charge. They don't take insurance either--maybe that's the catch.
Two more observations...
most restaurants here do not have smoking or non-smoking sections. you sit wherever you'd like (usually b/c we're the first ones there:) and if someone smokes next to you that's life.

Also, forming lines (also called que's--i didn't know that before here:) is not really an ingrained part of the culture. I was reading a friend's blog that talked about an Indian wedding. When the couple came out to greet all those attending there was no line, just a mob:) Thankfully in the grocery store and at the airport we are forced to have lines but i have had people cut in front of me:) I don't really blame them--i'm usually the one with the full basket--and they only have 2 things:D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I lived in China, I had the same problem. People had no concern for lines. It was allows worst at places like McDonalds or the train station. I learned to make some basketball box out moves on people. Sometimes you have lay some 80 year old woman on the floor to get a little respect! :)

Trey

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that we don't have internet yet so I never have time to return emails but I will try to soon! Everything is going great though. I miss you guys like crazy!

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

=) Interesting isn't it?! I love the price of health care here too - When Rebekah was born, the ENTIRE hospital bill came to about $1200!

The lack of lines does get on my nerves though. Sometimes you just have to be a little agressive and let people know that you are there! I've found that if I just sit back and wait my "turn" (if there is such a thing), I can often end up waiting a looonnngg time. =)