CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Glitch in the System

As I was sitting here typing the previous post, the electricity went out and caused the post to take 3 times longer than it should have. It reminded me that I don't recall sharing about the daily outages here. Most days the electricity "flickers" on and off about 6 times for a period of about 10-15 minutes. Usually this happens more than once a day. I'm so thankful that it doesn't stay off for long periods at a time which I've heard happens in some residences. It does tend to interrupt some things like the computer, which "unplugs" hardware devices in ways the computer doesn't appreciate, causes the internet to act up, etc. Most times when it does come back on it fails to restart one fuse which supplies power to the washer, dryer, microwave and stovetop. So if we are washing or cooking it takes a little time before those things come back on--sometimes til the next power outage:) Pretty much every building in Bangalore has a back-up generator due to the unreliable power. I know some third world cities around the world probably experience power outages for days at a time so I'm not complaining--just thought I'd share:)
And while I'm on glitches I'll go ahead and mention the internet and cable...we are really blessed to have DSL, but in Bangalore that means you'll only to get to use it about 1/2 of the time. The other time it's won't connect. (We haven't been able to access CNN this week...we think it's possibly being blocked due to the crisis in Pakistan.) The same daily occurance happens with cable(which we are also blessed to have for free!!)
Compared to those living around us who have none of these amenities, these are only minor glitches in ones day! But after just being in the states it reminded me of one more thing I take for granted there--power:)

0 comments: