CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 26, 2009

Acclimation

I thought about it last month, that things seem so "normal" now living as foreigners in a different culture. Sights and sounds that used to seem strange, silly, unbelievable are now just part of the daily routine. For instance, when I walk through the grocery store, the Hindi music playing overhead doesn't sound funny like it used too. Driving next to an ox pulling a cart full of grass or waiting for a cow to cross the road are everyday events. Sitting for 15 minutes at an intersection just to make a u-turn and go the other way doesn't make my skin crawl anymore:) Seeing the top movie stars doing children's candybar commercials doesn't seem silly anymore--that's just what they do--they do every commercial:) Noticing all the beautiful fabric of the women's saris doesn't happen any longer,sadly, it just blends into the scenery. I've come to expect that my usual buys at the grocery store may not be there the next time so I stock up on all they have:) I've learned what words to use and not use so that people can understand me and I even attempt to add a botched accent to enhance the communication level:). I've stopped worrying about the pollution and it's potential effects.

On the other hand some things have changed in my mind...I respect the culture and people much more than I did the first year. I hate admitting that to myself and others but I think Americans, or at least this American, have a built in pride mechanism. It's an inbred reaction to think America does everything best or better and I've seen that thought process wane in the last few months. (THANK GOODNESS!!)I've come to accept many things that I thought should be done differently.

Some things that I still appreciate and have not just become part of the scenery are...the beautiful people of India who are very accepting and tolerant of foreigners, the ancient history and complex culture, the beauty of converging people groups and multiple languages (many, many languages--and no one is complaining that everyone should have to learn his language to live here--they just all learn each other's and amazingly fast), the gorgeous weather of Bangalore, good Indian food, the survival mentality and ability of so many millions who can't turn to the government or welfare for their needs, my dear friends that are even more special after feeling so unconnected the first few months:)

I think my acclimation explains why my blog posts have gone from every other day to maybe once a week...things are normal--what's there to report?:D But I am going to try my best not to take my time here for granted and continue to observe and celebrate the interesting and unusual-ness of India.

4 comments:

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

I know what you mean...on pretty much all accounts there! Although I still can't help but smile when I see the movie stars or star cricket players in all the commercials. =)

Anonymous said...

It is really great when you reach this point, yet it makes it much harder to come back home. I find myself in a sort of 'no mans land' between the two cultures now. Hopefully this too will fade in time.

Flory Family Five said...

So glad to hear you are comfortable, happy, and embracing life there. This is an amazing journey the Lord has you and your family on...he has so much to teach all of us. Everyday we must open our hearts and minds to what the Lord wants us to see and learn. Take care and try not to wait too long before you post! We love to see you guys and how you are doing!

giga said...

I love reading about your life there. I'm afraid I would not have such grace or obedience as you. You and Brian live a life that is testimony to faithfulness - yours and God's. Love you.