CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Kolkata

We are traveling right now...in Calcutta/Kolkata (English/Indian). I haven't seen much of the city. With 3 boys it's enough to get them dressed to go to breakfast, lunch and dinner @ the hotel restuarant much less explore the city:) We won't be sightseeing since we are here with Brian on business. From what I saw on our drive from the airport to the hotel, it appears more 3rd world than Bangalore. (I realize that my Indian friends may not appreciate the term "3rd World" but I just have to find a way to describe it to the Americans reading:) Granted we were driving at night but it felt like we were in a black and white movie...everything seemed gray and dingy. (Except for the line of 1950's yellow taxis at the airport:) just like the picture) I'm sure there are better parts of town. I spoke with an expat here and she said the gap b/w the rich and the poor is much wider in Calcutta than Bangalore. The IT business in Bangalore has created a large middle class.

It's funny because we are staying at a country club:) It's actually cheaper than staying at a mid-range hotel in America. I ate grilled fish and vegetables for $1 today! It's nice because I have things to do with the boys...playground, swimming, horseback riding. The club is pretty old but it is still where the elites hangout. Last night there was an elaborate outdoor party. I thought it was going to be a wedding but it turned out to be a birthday party...for a one year old girl! I think it was all her parents' friends attending:)

On Friday we head to Delhi where Brian will have the weekend off to explore. I'm thankful for this time to visit other Indian cities and to not be home without Brian for so long...i'm not a very good single mom:)

2 comments:

Flory Family Five said...

I am not good at the single mom thing either!!!Glad to hear I am not the only one. Three kids is tough.

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

The first birthday is a big thing here. It is usually celebrated with all the friends and relatives of the family - sometimes almost looks like a wedding.