CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 24, 2007

My First Outing!

Saturday was my first outing in this big city alone...well with 3 kids and our househelper...but no hubby to navigate. I had to haggle with the taxi drivers who see a white woman and inflate the price three times what it would be. (the first driver wanted to charge me $6.50 when it normally costs under $2.00. To go about 6 miles!)
We rode an hour to a big city park (like Central Park to NY). Thankfully he dropped us off exactly where we needed to be...the kiddie park. There was a train, carnival rides, lots of playground areas, even a popcorn stand. It felt like i was back at a 70's theme park:) And they had fake painted Disney characters all over--very funny:) The kids had a blast. We rode the train and played on the playground. The landscaping here is beautiful so it kinda feels like you are in a tropical forest. The train cost 75 cents for 4 people:) good deal!

Afterwards we walked around to find a restaurant. A bit about Bangalore...not really the best place to walk around with a stroller...lots of holes, rocks, dirt and traffic... so i was looking for the closest place to dine.The first one we could find was one I had heard of...Koshy's. I chose the non-smoking section (healthy dining:) but it was a whole other restaurant--much more plush and expensive. Two meals cost around $11.00 which is good in the u.s. but expensive here. Our housekeeper just kept looking all around--i don't think she eats out much. and she obviously felt obligated to use the spoon that came with her rice b/c most indians use their hands to eat. I felt bad but since i can't communicate with her very well i just let her experience life with utensils:) After we left she said "food-$500 rupees" with an astonished look on her face. She must have seen me pay for the bill. It made me sad b/c she could never afford a meal like that. I said "yes, very expensive". What could i do? that was the only restaurant in sight. it shows me how spoiled we are in the u.s. A trip to Chic-fil-a costs more than that restaurant and we dish that out a few times a week there. I think we'll be packing a picnic lunch from now on.
Nonetheless, it was a great experience and i do think we'll continue to have Saturday excursions...it really helps lower stir-crazy levels!

0 comments: