CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Grocery Store is Here!!

Today one of the two grocery stores that is opening near our apartment had it's grand opening!! I was ecstatic since I haven't done any of the grocery shopping since arriving a month ago. To give you an idea, grocery stores here are about the size of a gas station convenience store in the states. And imagine the aisles in a convenience store...trying to push a cart and get by all the other people who are also excited that the store is open:) Makes for tight quarters:)

In my excitement I got a little carried away, atleast by Indian standards, and bought about 8 bags worth of groceries. Compared to a Walmart run in America it was only about a 1/2 of the items i used to buy, but here I felt like a greedy westerner. People here shop daily or every other day. Not for the month like we do in the states:) I won't be loading up again... I took up a lot of time at the checkout (one of two) and I felt so gluttonous walking down the street with a stroller (with no child) full of groceries. And because of my large purchase (again 1/2 of what I would have spent in America) i won the grand prize--a sterling silver swiss army knife that the manager hand delivered to me. I just wanted to crack up when he gave it to me but i was thankful for my prize:) Here is a pic of the store from our balcony and another building going up across the street. The other grocery store opens up on Monday and has real cheese!! A rare commodity here. Yea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog, Colette! I really like how you put the pictures of the kids in the sidebar. They look bigger already! Love you all!

Colette Frazier said...

Thank you Desiree--
i owe all the credit to you!! for telling me about blogger.com and suggesting it! thanks bunches!