CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Time to Look Back

It's hard to believe that our time here in India is coming to a close. I had to force myself to write this because I'm trying to avoid the thought of goodbye's and the finality of almost 3 years here. I'm pushing it aside and hiding it behind other in-the-moment tasks such as finishing school and going to family camp with our church.

I haven't even had the heart to tell my beloved housekeeper that we are moving!! I can't do it. I will eventually have to bring myself to that point, but I am going to wait a few more weeks because I know every day after that will be a sad one. I admit the biggest reverse-culture shock ahead for me is no longer having house help:D:( , but the real reason I don't want to tell her is because we love her and she just adores the kids. After 3 years, she has just started to call me the more affectionate term "Amma" which means Momma (I take it as a sweet term meaning I am a Mom rather than meaning her mom:) after calling me the more colonial/proper title of "Madame" for years.

The boys and I will be heading to the States next month to visit family and friends for a few weeks while Brian finishes his job in July.

I thought I would try to take a look back at some of the first blog posts to relive the culture shock, confusion, and the comedy (now, not then) of what we experienced when arriving. We have learned so much since then so I'm sure to get some good laughs that I will share with you in upcoming posts. And saying that, even though we've learned some ins-and-outs about living here, it is just the tip of the iceberg. If we lived her our whole lives we still would not know all there is to know about the culture, beliefs and traditions of this vast and amazing country.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh friend, I will be praying for you as you start the goodbye process. But just think! What a blessing that it hurts so much to say goodbye- this means that you gave your heart to your life over there, not holding back, all while seeking to honor and glorify God. I am so glad I got to see a part of that life, if only for a short while. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Three years. Seems like just yesterday. What a bitter/sweet thing to say good bye. God has been good and faithful to your family. He provided in so many ways, it will be good to go back and recount his blessings. How beautiful to have the Love of God for other countries. May the time you have left be sweet filled with more of his love for those he has brought across your path of life. Praying for you as you make the transition to the next adventure God has for your family. Love you and Blessings. Irma Smythe

Linda said...

Best of luck on your return. Reverse culture shock will be just as hard or harder than the original culture shock. I'll be praying for you. The hardest part is finding that everyone else has gone on without you while you've been gone, and no one really understands what it is like returning. I'll keep you guys in prayer. Will you still be continuing your blog?

Colette Frazier said...

Thank you for your prayers Linda. They are so needed especially as the trip grows closer. I think I will continue the blog for a little while. Just to let people know where we end up since that is still up in the air. I don't think daily life in the U.S. can compare to life in India...quite boring compared to here:) So blogging about our life in the States isn't so much what I'll be doing. Just posting updates. Thanks for reading.