CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Solar Eclipse in India

This morning there was a solar eclipse over Asia. I learned about it yesterday when my neighbor came over to translate for our housekeeper. She told me that she would be coming late to work b/c of the eclipse. She told me that during an eclipse Hindus offer up prayers and from what I gathered they find it bad luck to go out during and a period after the eclipse. She said a lot of schools were starting late and Brian said he expected people to come in late to work. I read a news article about it this morning and below are some excerpts from it. It will give you a little glimpse of the Hindu religion. It is made up of mythology, superstition and fear. (I don't say this with disrespect, one of my Hindu friend describes it to me with these same words.) Sadly, this morning, a woman was killed and others injured as a stampede occurred on the banks of the Ganges River while people were trying to get into the sacred water to cleanse their sins during the 3+ minutes of the eclipse.

Did I view the eclipse? If you know me, you know I wasn't awake at 6:30 am to view it:D


AP News: "The longest solar eclipse of the 21st century pitched a swath of Asia from India to China into near darkness Wednesday as millions gathered to watch the phenomenon. But millions more, seeing the eclipse as a bad omen and gripped by fear, shuttered themselves in. India abounds in superstitions and fables based on Hindu mythology, one of which says an eclipse is caused when a dragon-demon swallows the sun. In some parts of Asia it lasted as long as 6 minutes and 39 seconds. One of the best views appeared to be in the Indian town of Varanasi, on the banks of the Ganges River, sacred to devout Hindus. Thousands of Hindus took a dip in keeping with the ancient belief that bathing in the river, especially on special occasions, cleanses one's sins. Millions across India were shunning the sight and planned to stay indoors. Even in regions where the eclipse was not visible, pregnant women were advised to stay indoors in curtained rooms over a belief that the sun's invisible rays would harm the fetus and the baby would be born with disfigurations, birthmarks or a congenital defect. Krati Jain, a software professional in New Delhi, said she planned to take a day off from work Wednesday to avoid what she called "any ill effects of the eclipse on my baby." "My mother and aunts have called and told me to stay in a darkened room with the curtains closed, lie in bed and chant prayers," said Jain, 24, who is expecting her first child. In the northern Indian state of Punjab, authorities ordered schools to begin an hour late to prevent children from venturing out and gazing at the sun. Others saw a business opportunity: one travel agency in India scheduled a charter flight to watch the eclipse by air, with seats facing the sun selling at a premium."

0 comments: