CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Baby Naming

This past Sunday, Corban and I went to a baby naming ceremony for our househelper's grandson. It is a Hindu tradition to wait to name the baby for weeks or months. This baby is 3 months old. At the ceremony in their home, family and friends said prayers and put paint on the baby and mother's foreheads (the Hindu signs for spiritual "eyes") The guests sprinkled things over their heads... and my favorite...passed the baby between two people on opposite sides of his bassinet under and over the bed in a circle 3 times. Not sure what it meant but it seemed like a common ritual, with everyone clapping when it was complete. There were snacks served and pictures taken. I'm still not sure what his name is because I have trouble understanding names sometimes. It sounded like Cheriyan Jeevan to me but it's highly likely that I got it wrong:) He was very cute and napped most of the ceremony. His aunt (who speaks english) told me that he sleeps all day and is up all night. His mom wakes up her mom (our househelper) to take care of him during the night while he's crying. Poor thing...she doesn't get too much sleep and her daughter and grandson get to sleep all day while she works.

0 comments: