CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Brian and I watched the movie Slumdog Millionaire this past weekend. It was very eye opening. I thought the movie was great--mostly because I'm seeing people like Jamal everyday but to get "into" their lives and experience what it's really like is not something I get to do. There were themes of violence and abuse running throughout it, which I don't like to watch, but I know that it is reality for so many. Brian said that some of the people he's talked to about it thought that the grown up Jamal was too light skinned (he was dark as a child) and too polished (his english was too good:) True, but I thought his acting was so good that I didn't notice all those details until Brian mentioned them after the movie. I also realize that this is another predictable film where the good guy gets the money and the girl:) (Sorry to give it away:) But all that aside, I think what impacted me the most were the scenes of the young brothers in the begging ring. I've heard many people here say that the beggars on the streets (which come up to your car window) are part of begging rings--they get dropped off at certain spots, picked up later and they have to give all the money to the boss of the ring. That's why so many people don't give to beggars here. And it's true--many of the women are holding babies. I couldn't believe that they actually were causing children to go blind--something I hadn't thought about. I wish that the movie would impact change in the country for these women and children but I think there are just too many in poverty and many in leadership turning their heads. I like watching movies like this so that I can get out of my comfortable bubble for a few hours, have more compassion and thank the Lord for so many blessings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie here too. It did have a good message, but some real casting blunders. For instance, did you notice the teenage Salim was a hindu tamil, who did not speak hindi (all his lines were in english at that point?) The equivalent of our casting a chinese person in the place of a white one and expecting us not to notice. Most people in the US wouldn't notice most of the Indian blunders, but unfortunately they are laughable among Indians, who then are not taking the rest of the movie seriously. (At least according to some relatives here). Unfortunate, as it really did have a good message. We used to have a beggar ring similar to this one near us a few years ago.

Enjoying your blog!

Shawnda said...

We haven't seen it yet, but we are planning to. It was good to hear your thoughts and the things you've heard! Thanks for sharing!!