CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stat Glasses


I read two disheartening statistics recently that made me count my blessings...

-40% of the 1 billion people in India (that's 400 million for those who need a calculator like me:) are still not connected to the electricity grid. Which means they have no electricity b/c neither do they have the money for windmill or solar energy.

-Over 58% of Indians have no access to toilets. Globally 1.1 billion people defecate in the open.

I wish I could "wear" these statistics like eye glasses each time I saw something I thought I "needed" or wished I had. They would sharply remind me that..."Wait, I have way more than I need,
I am content" and "how can I give?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does make one stop and be thankfull for all we do have and stop whining about what we want instead of need. We need to be more like Christ and do as he did for others. Irma S.

Nathan and Rachel Waldock said...

According to Soutik Biswas, "Some 43% of Indian children younger than five are underweight - far above the global average of 25% or sub-Saharan Africa's 28%. India is a lowly 65th among 84 countries in the Global Hunger Index. Half of the world's hungry people live in India." (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/soutikbiswas/2010/04/indias_rights_revolution.html) It breaks my heart to read things like this.