CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 21, 2009

Bald and Beautiful

Something that fascinates me in Indian culture is that many little girls have boy short or shaven haircuts. Not all of them, and probably not even a majority of them in the city (many more in rural villages do) have hair this short but it is a prevalent practice. I have asked why and the info I have gathered is like usual: from observation and surveying friends so it's not cultural expertise:)

Religious reasons: Hindus do it as a sacrifice at the temple...they shave their heads as an offering. Like in this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxo9gzOf1w which is disturbing to me but I have to remember it is cultural and not intentionally abusive.

Non-religious reasons (which means Hindus, Christians and Muslims all practice it ): My favorite and most common reason: if you cut/shave the girl's hair at one year and 3 years old, it will help it to grow into thick, beautiful hair and perhaps change the texture (if the hair is coarse it may grow back in as silky and smooth). Others do it for easier manageability, lice prevention or, if due to the texture, it wouldn't look good long.

I think what fascinates me about this is that long hair in India is a woman's prize and treasure. I would say over 99% of women have very long hair. It's interesting to me that little girls would have boy short hair when long hair is so desired. But it seems to be a means to an end....so that the girl WILL have beautiful, thick, long hair some day.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was always a big issue in our family. My in-laws and husband always wanted to shave the kids' heads, and I wouldn't allow it. My husband always claimed that he had had it done as a child. Since he is completely bald now, that discredited his whole argument and put an end to it! :-)